Thursday, January 28, 2010

Dry Soup


Dry soup is not the same as wet soup around here. In fact, it is not soup. People refer to sopa seca (dry) versus sopa aguada  (watery), although I think that saying sopa con caldo (broth) sounds more savory for the latter.

Dry soup commonly refers to rice deliciously prepared a la mexicana, with tomato, onions, garlic and bits of vegetables.

So if someone asks you if you would like sopa seca, say "yes"...unless, of course, you are in a restaurant and trying to order what you think of, by definition, as soup.

Come live here.

2 comments:

1st Mate said...

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I thought it just referred to the soup mix before you add the water.

Soooo, I guess sopa seca is pretty much the same thing as what we call Spanish rice. Sounds good, now I'm hungry for some.

Tracy Novinger said...

¡Buen provecho!