Friday, October 29, 2010

Noche de Muertos–#9

The Tianguis on Plaza Vasco de Quiroga

muertos tianguis Oct2010

Plaza Vasco de Quiroga, aka Plaza Grande, was restored this year. For Semana Santa, the artesan tianguis were moved to the street next to the Basílica. The whole effect was less than charming. I am pleased to see the tianguis are back at Plaza Grande for Noche de Muertos, but with a change. Instead of being up on the raised plaza itself, the tents are being set up in the street. It looks like the only street on the square that is two-way (on the West side, going up Dr. Coss) may be open to traffic. It seems the plaza itself, with its fountains, benches will be left open for people to enjoy.

I like seeing the folk art from all over Michoacán, as well as from Oaxaca, Chiapas, and a few other places, in one place. I plan to buy some nice gifts.

P.S. - The Dr. Coss side of the Plaza now has tents, as well, with a single one-way lane going South. I would not count on getting a car through. We go on foot to and in the Centro under normal circumstances, which is fun, and for busy Semana Santa and Noche de Muertos people who live here don't even take their cars out.

Noche de Muertos in Patzcuaro
Patzcuaro homes

4 comments:

Anne said...

Hi, please post some pictures of the Day of the Dead market!

Tracy Novinger said...

Anne, I will be wandering with pleasure through the displays of wares today, which should be in full swing. Inspired by your interest, I promise photos in a post this evening or tomorrow AM.

Michael Dickson said...

Last night, the Dr. Coss side was quite easy to drive through, two ways. The south side also allows cars to inch through, to the hotels, I imagine.

City Hall continues atwitter with pride over the plaza renovation which is, I imagine, the reason the tiaguis is in the street. They did that a couple of years ago too. I forget why. I prefer it in the plaza, leaving the streets open.

Anne said...

Thank you Tracy! Very fun to see and I'm so sorry I couldn't make it this year...I hope the tourists are returning!